Life is full of crossroads; moments when a decisive change in situation occurs. While making big decisions can be intimidating, particularly when considering the potential implications of the decisions made, it is also valuable to recognise and appreciate the benefits of these opportunities. In saying that, there will always be routes you have taken that did not work out how you expected or wanted, and dwelling on the past can be as inhibiting as not having made a decision in the first place.
So how do we navigate these turning points to reap the results we want? Well, Richard Branson uses what he calls the 'windshield effect'. He likens the process of navigating these turning points to driving a car; while recognising the importance of reflecting on past decisions in order to influence future decisions (which he compares to occasionally looking in the rear-view and wing mirrors to gauge bearings) he discusses the danger in focusing too heavily on the past. He encourages not looking back, but instead prioritising the view of the road ahead.
We love this analogy. Why? Because it acknowledges the importance of balance. In this case, balancing throwing yourself into the challenge of the future while learning from the lessons of what has come before.
We also love Richard's 10 favourite quotes on turning points.
10. ·'When you come to a fork in the road, take it.'' - Yogi Berra
9. "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.'' - Maria Robinson
8. ··I can't change the direction of the wind. but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination." - Jimmy Dean
7. "What you're supposed to do when you don't like a thing is change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou
6. ··You cannot change your destination overnight, but you can change your direction overnight." - Jim Rohn
5. '·Sometimes it takes a good fall to really know where you stand." - Hayley Williams
4. ''The direction of your focus is the direction your life will move. Let yourself move toward what is good, valuable, strong and trne." - Ralph Marston
3. "You have to always be ready, always be alive, and always be willing to move in a new direction." - Kevin Spacey
2. "Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together:· - Marilyn Monroe
1. "In a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks." - Wan-en Buffett